We at Front Range Dental Center, your Fort Collins dentist, would like to share ten strange and interesting facts about teeth!
- The average adult human will have 32 teeth: four canines, eight incisors, eight premolars twelve molars, and four wisdom teeth.
- A person develops two sets of teeth in his entire lifetime. The first set is also known as your ‘baby teeth’ which will start to lose by the time you reach six or seven years old.
- Human teeth start when the fetus is in the womb. Teeth start to form about six months before you are born!
- It is estimated that the average human produces 100,000 gallons of saliva over their lifetime.
- In the People’s Republic of China, September 20 is ‘Love your Teeth Day’.
- In ancient China, tiny parchment container incantations and prays were wrapped teeth that had toothaches.
- It took Chinese dentist Yu Quin 15 years to build an eight foot statue from 28,000 diseased teeth. He started the tower in 1993.
- During the middle ages in Germany, kissing a donkey was thought to be a cure for a toothache.
- In England during the 1800’s, people who had fake teeth or dentures ate in their bedrooms before an event. This helped prevent embarrassment of having their teeth fall out while dining.
- Until the nineteenth century, some dentures were created from animal bone or tusks, but most dentures were made from teeth of dead soldiers.
Questions about Dentistry? Just give us a call and ask!